Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Spicy Peanut Butter Sauce

I love eating raw vegetables, but plain veggies get boring fast and I am so tired of ranch and creamy dressings. This recipe is fantastic for those looking for something flavorful, delicious and very easy to make.

Ingredients:

-1/2 cup of smooth peanut butter
-1/2 cup warm water
-1 tsp salt
-1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
-1/2-3/4 tsp ground chipotle (start with less and add more to taste)
-3 medium garlic cloves
-1/4 cup minced cilantro

Directions:

Put all ingredients except the cilantro into a food processor and mix until well blended. Stir in the cilantro by hand. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours for the dip to become thick (I usually don't like to wait so I just dig in while the dip is thinner).

This sauce is great to dip vegetables in. If you add 2-4 additional tablespoons of water during the blending process, this sauce goes great over salads made with pork, shrimp or chicken breast.

This is my son trying and loving broccoli for the first time. It wasn't the sauce that made him like it, but just seeing me enjoying the broccoli made him want to try it. Studies have shown that kids who see their parents eating and enjoying vegetables are more likely to eat and enjoy veggies themselves. Food for thought.


I got this recipe during a holistic cooking class I took at Southwestern Institute of Healing Arts. The original recipe comes from "the Garden of Eating" by Rachel Albert-Matesz.

No comments:

Post a Comment