Sunday, May 15, 2011

Chicken and Rice Casserole II --Allyson's version









I wanted to post my version of chicken and rice casserole because if I can avoid mushrooms/cream of mushroom soup I DO! I usually have left over chicken whenever I cook a fryer chicken or buy a roasted chicken from the grocery store. And whenever I make rice I usually make a ton because it's so easy to throw it in soup or casseroles such as this.




I rarely measure anything for this recipe. I just eye ball it, so here goes:




Serves about 8 people, or a small family twice. Serve with rolls or a salad!




2-3 cups cooked brown rice


left over, cooked chicken cut into bite-sized pieces (equivalent of 2-3 breasts)


1 package of frozen broccoli, or mixed veggie of your choice (cauliflower, carrots, and peas go really well too!)


2 cups hand shredded cheddar


1/2 to a whole small tub of sour cream for zip!


1 family sized can of cream of chicken soup


1 small can of broccoli cheese soup


1/2 cup chopped dehydrated onion


salt and pepper


1 tsp-ish powdered garlic


*breadcrumbs




1. Mix everything together in a very LARGE mixing bowl except breadcrumbs. If it looks to thick add water, chicken stock, or another small can of cream of chicken to smooth it up.


2. Grease a 9-13 pan (or bigger if you want it to cook faster)


3. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top if you desire.


4. Cover with foil.


5. Bake at 350 or up to 450 if you're in a hurry.


6. It usually takes about 20-40 minutes to heat all the way through depending on your temp. If you hear it bubbling it's ready. If you didn't add breadcrumbs, stir it all around to make sure it's hot evenly throughout.


7. If you did add breadcrumbs turn the oven to broil and brown the breadcrumbs on top. Watch it closely so you don't burn it like I almost did in my pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment